Software Engineer (Backend)
Job Category: Tech
Location: Colorado, United States
Employment Type: Permanent
Location Terms: Remote
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
Breaking stuff. We need a software engineer to focus on building and automating tests. A top candidate will be able to fix bugs of currently deployed software. This role is a mix of software engineering and testing. The unique part of this role does not lie within writing unit or integration tests but rather mirroring customer use cases – such as testing our satellite tracking, antenna reservation, or satellite command and control services. Your mission will be to simulate dozens of satellites running operations while also being chaos monkey so our system can remain resilient. Don’t worry, you do not have to be an aerospace expert – satellites are just flying computers that you see every 90 minutes. Additionally, you will oversee testing operational recovery procedures. Day to day, you will be a part of the engineering team of frontend and backend engineers working in an Agile Scrum environment.
- Proficiency in Python and Terraform (or relevant IaaC language)
- Experience with AWS services such as Lambda, ECS, EKS, CloudWatch, S3, EFS/EBS, EC2, and RDS
- Strong knowledge of containerized applications and serverless architecture
- Strong knowledge of designing, analyzing, and troubleshooting APIs services, distributed NoSQL and relational databases, caching systems, eventdriven and multi-tier architectures
- Strong knowledge of task automation and CI/CD pipeline building, preferably with GitHub actions but not required
- Familiarity with Git and GitHub or similar framework for version control
- Deep technical analysis and troubleshooting skills
- Independent selfstarter; able to complete projects on time with minimal guidance
- A high standard for software maintainability, quality, resilience, and performance
- Strong crossfunctional communication between a frontend, backend engineers and product manager
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (or related field)
- 1+ years [professional] experience in backend development, DevOps, or other related role. Professional experience can be replaced with a selfstarter who has drive, the technical skills, and is obsessed with their product.
To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a (i) U.S. citizen or national, (ii) U.S. lawful, permanent resident (aka green card holder), (iii) Refugee under 8 U.S.C. § 1157, or (iv) Asylee under 8 U.S.C. § 1158, or be eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here.
WHY YOU'LL LOVE WORKING HERE
- We are a remote-first workplace and value results over where you work from. If you want to work at a WeWork we will make that happen! If not, we provide work from home benefits so you always have a nice place to work, speedy internet, and of course coffee/tea!
- We take work life balance very seriously. We require employees to take 15 days off but provide unlimited PTO and follow most US federal government holidays.
- Mental health is just as important as physical so we provide quarterly health & wellness benefits.
- Comprehensive health insurance for you and your family with 100% coverage for employees.
- We encourage employees to save for retirement and provide 4% 401(k) matching.
- Each quarter we have a 4day company offsite. Previous locations include San Francisco, Nashville, Denver, Santa Fe, and New Orleans.
- Our culture and company is evolving. You will be key in creating the next major or minor version!