Manufacturing Engineer – Engines
Job Category: Engineering
Location: Georgia, United States
Employment Type: Permanent
Location Terms: On-site
MANUFACTURING ENGINEER- ENGINES
FULL-TIME / ON-SITE
We are recruiting with an exciting startup who are developing a hypersonic aircraft with the view of radically accelerating air travel. They have partnered with government agencies including the US Air Force and NASA to develop a series of autonomous aircraft that derisk the technology and solve urgent national security challenges.
These products provide the data and confidence necessary to certify, produce, operate, and maintain safe and comfortable commercial aircraft.
The Engines team is responsible for the engine development efforts that will propel all of the hypersonic vehicles.
Through multi-disciplinary efforts to develop air-breathing engines that facilitate ground take-off and flight at supersonic and hypersonic speeds, they are addressing challenges that very few engineers have the opportunity to solve and doing so at a strategic and rapid pace.
This is an amazing opportunity for someone to join the team as they dive into the design of the first flight engines.
- You will support day-to-day manufacturing and production of our engine and subassemblies which includes but is not limited to: manufacturing processes such as machining, TIG/MIG welding, pressure testing, precision cleaning, additive manufacturing, non-destructive testing, heat treatment, and assembly
- You will analyze and disposition recurring manufacturing discrepancies and lead multi-disciplinary teams on root cause analysis for corrective actions and mitigations
- You will lead improvement projects to ensure that safety, reliability, and process capability goals are achieved, maintained, and improved
- You will be a vital part of the relationship between our engineering and technician team
- You will provide input into the design and development of new and existing hardware and take a lead role in the manufacturing and integration of our current and next-generation vehicles
- You will provide subject matter expertise on multiple manufacturing processes and products
- You will communicate on a daily basis with supporting departments such as production, machining, quality, and design engineering to ensure that the product is delivered on time
- You will apply process improvement methodologies and tools (e.g. value stream mapping, problem-solving, visual management, etc.) to reduce manufacturing build hours and quality issues; increase production rates; and remove waste from complex processes
- You will manage projects and execute to tight timelines while effectively communicating to and influencing stakeholders
- You will train technicians, engineers, and leaders on best-in-class operations practices by leading process improvement workshops; providing training and information briefs on key topics; and personally, demonstrating by implementing solutions in the area
- You will work with design engineers to evaluate designs for manufacturability and test requirements, then implement in a rapidly evolving production environment
- You will ideate and implement tooling and test solutions, enabling high-quality built hardware
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering or a technical discipline
- 5+ years of experience in space, aviation or aerospace manufacturing environment (essential)
- Strong communication skills and ability to read and provide feedback on technical documents
- Will sometimes be working directly with the hardware on the floor and will have to be comfortable stooping, bending, and standing
- Ability to make appropriate assumptions and perform trade studies using first principles and engineering fundamentals to create rationale for clear recommendations
- Experience with high volume manufacturing, or design for manufacture and product development life cycle, or quality tools including root cause and corrective action, PFMEAs, QMS and process auditing and statistical analysis of quality metrics
- Experience with metallic manufacturing techniques and equipment for processes such as CNC fabrication, welding (orbital tube and TIG), precision cleaning, forming, inspection, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with CAD and geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T)
- Working knowledge of Python or another coding language
- Experience in control and monitoring of complex automated systems and risk assessment/reduction of the system
- Experience in a startup development environment
- Experience working in a flight development program
- Experience working with Inconel and Titanium
- Experience working with 3D printed parts, castings, or forgings
- Experience transitioning parts from first article to production
- $120,000 - $150,000