SATELLITE OPERATIONS ENGINEER
SANTA CLARA, CA (Hybrid)
$80,000 – $120,000
My client builds, and operates a diverse range of small satellite systems supporting space-based turnkey missions for several business applications, including earth observation, communications, in-orbit demonstrations, risk reduction opportunities, in addition to various science and exploration applications.
Note: Proof of COVID-19 vaccination status (vaccination card) will be required for employment otherwise a request for or medical or religious accommodation is necessary.
The Satellite Operations Engineer is responsible for the planning, preparation, and execution of on-orbit satellite operations. You will work with the team to design, build, test, and execute on-orbit procedures for the satellite commissioning and nominal operations phases. You will also analyse satellite telemetry, evaluate and resolve spacecraft system anomalies, and develop new and improved Satellite Operations software tools. The ideal candidate is a hands-on problem solver and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Execute pass plans and operations procedures on-console.
- Generate and maintain up-to-date Satellite Operations documentation, including a flight log for each satellite.
- Design on-orbit pass plans and operations procedures to meet commissioning requirements.
- Test on-orbit pass plans and operations procedures on the flat-sat test beds.
- Analyze satellite telemetry to assess subsystem state of health and operations procedure outcomes.
- System anomaly investigation.
- Use software tools to manage tracking of multiple satellites and keep satellite tracking information up to date.
- Maintain and configure satellite operations workstations and servers.
- Maintain and configure the flat-sat test beds.
- Develop satellite operations tools and automation.
- Collaborate with the wider team to develop the concept of operations (CONOPS) for each mission.
- As required, conduct System Functional Testing on spacecraft in production.
- BS in Aerospace Engineering or related field.
- Direct experience working with CubeSat systems and/or satellite operations.
- Experience in a scripting language – Python preferred.
- Experience using a version control repository.
- Experience developing software automation
- Comfortable with command-line environments (Linux).
- Understanding of orbital mechanics and classical mechanics.
- Understanding of spacecraft subsystems and a willingness to further this understanding.
- Ability to work independently.
- Good written and verbal communications skills, especially during time-critical situations.
- Must be a U.S Citizen
- $80,000 – $120,000
- Santa Clara, California (Hybrid)